Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Perfect Cone and the Perfect Storm



It was the stormiest night (two stormy nights to be exact)  I have ever experienced while away from home.Apart from Pedring, there was this rally by the blasted employees from Philippine Airlines that left me stranded.  But the rain, yes, it was damn strong.



Traveling through air to return home at the time was the scariest thing. The turbulence was endless. It is  impossible to believe that the day I landed on this Southern region the sun was shining like fire on my hand. Daragang Mayon even made an appearance.
Bicolano superstition has it that Mt. Mayon doesn't make an appearance to people who do not deserve her presence. That most of the time, travelers get to gawk at endless clouds and not so much of an outline of the perfect cone. But that day I went there was priceless. I got to see her in her full glory.




The trip was a blur to me now, as I try to recall it. But two things struck me the most - The Mayon volcano was indeed beautiful. I was star struck. At that time I felt really really lucky to have the opportunity to visit the place. I made a wish. Yeah, I'm starting my own supertitions about seeing places that I've been wanting to see since I was in Gradeschool (Banawe Rice terraces, you're up next).






Second, the food! (this warrants an entire entry, maybe next time). Coconut milk is the king. I'm sure a lot has been said about the food in Bicol, but before you leave,  try the sili ice cream at 1st Colonial Grill.




So that's it. The Mayon volcano is only a mere sidestop when traveling to Bicol region, what with Caramoan islands and Naga nearby. But  I only dedicated my trip to the capital of Legazpi in Albay alone.Next time I write about Bicol I'll make sure to talk more about Caramoan Islands, Naga and CWC plus blogger must-writes like how to get there and where to stay than this endless blabber about perfect cones and ice creams.
Needless to say, Bicol, I'm not done with you yet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the unfortunate weather during your vacation, but at least you were still able to see and appreciate the beauty of the Mayon Volcano.

    ReplyDelete