Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Food: Hawker Food Culture in Malaysia



You're still reading my Singapore and Malaysia food and travel memoirs.

After my touch down from the Philippines to the Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Carrier Airport in Kuala Lumpur, I took a bus in Puduraya Terminal to Singapore where I alighted at the Singapore Terminal after inspections and immigrations. And in Singapore I stayed for three days in a hostel called Inn Crowd, where I met fellow backpackers George, Amy and Pam.





After three days, I tearfully went back to Kuala Lumpur and stayed at Haven Hostel in Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. And there, I took the bus to the city center (I think) and explored the famous Petronas towers—truly a handsome, photogenic structure.




After that I went to the Hindu pilgrimage, the Batu Caves 13 kilometer north of Kuala Lumpur.

But what is even more exciting than site seeing is dining! My stomach took me to Restoran Waw in Jalan Alor, a hawker food street, a lively strip of grills and eateries which is widely popular in Kuala Lumpur.



And for my meal - chicken and lamb satays, grilled to perfection together with a curious concoction of peanut sauce and fish paste dip; yang-chow fried rice, and the traditional Bak-kut-teh, ( long-simmered pork in herbal soup, with the pork’s tender meat slipping easily from the bone). Downing the meal with Carlsberg beer, I thought there could be no better way to end my whirlwind of a five-day trip to Asia’s melting pot of Asian cuisine than this.






The Taste Traveler
In the end, I realized that I was too adventurous for a leisure traveler, but too soft to be a hardcore backpacker. Hence, this trip made me a taste-traveler - a foodie whose travel and adventure take me to where my taste buds lead me ●

No comments:

Post a Comment